Tuesday 18 March 2014

FUN at Home Depot: Copper Pipe Chair

Believe it or not, I get a lot of my arts/craft inspiration and materials from home improvement stores like Home Depot and Rona. So, one weekend + 5-6 trips to Home Depot + asking their plumbing department staff seemingly random questions later, I am proud to present a chair that I made using only copper pipe, ropes, and epoxy. (Note that I am Team Blue, but it's a bit farther away.) Although, without proper jointing techniques, this chair is probably only rated for children, small pets, or an extremely short person like myself. Nevertheless, it thoroughly satisfied my recent obsession with copper. 
Also, I just love my fig plant from IKEA.
copper + twine weave
PVC Prototype: I am your father! dum dum dum
I used the much cheaper PVC alternative for prototyping to get a sense of dimension and scale, and to figure out what works and what doesn't (i.e. those fancy 45-degree hind legs). So, don't be afraid to experiment with new material. Let's get weird at Home Depot!

2 comments:

  1. Just to say that I loved your content.
    It's not the first craft website I visit, but the caring that you treat your work is very special -
    congratulations, you're doing a great job.
    And I can assure that you gained a follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Mariah! :)

    ReplyDelete